Merzci is one of the more established food businesses in Bacolod City today. They are supposed to be celebrating their silver anniversary this year with lots of fun activities lined up. But these are all on hold in light of the global Covid-19 pandemic. Instead, through the leadership of CEO Jonathan Manuel T. Lo, Merzci channeled its resources and efforts to feed many people during the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) for Covid-19. They aptly dubbed it: Merzci Cares.
Merzci Cares: Loaves of Love
While Merzci Pasalubong is more often seen in marketing efforts and events, one of the biggest businesses of CM & Sons Food Products, Inc. is the bakeshop. Exactly 25 years ago, they started with a single bakeshop at the Libertad Market.
- Related: Bacolod Pasalubong to Bring Home
One of their famous products is, of course, the Merzci loaf bread. For the Covid-19 fight, Merzci baked more than 10,000 loaves of bread that were distributed to frontliners.
Recipients included hospital workers, barangay volunteers, police, military and other people in Bacolod City. Moreover, the staff at Merzci Cares made sure that they covered all the barangays of Bacolod City.
- Related: Bacolod City Guide
They also sent help to parts of Negros Island as well as in Barangay Lahug, Cebu, where they have a branch. These people tirelessly serve the community to fight the threat of Covid-19 and Merzci wants to thank them for all they do.
Merzci Pasalubong Treats and Eggs
Aside from the loaves of bread, Merzci Cares also gave out Bacolod pasalubong treats such as Piaya and Biscocho.
Additionally, they gave out more than 32,000 eggs and others necessities to frontliners. “To our heroic front liners, we assure you that we stand behind you in the fight against COVID-19. Thank you for being our brave warriors in this battle. Thank you for your dedication, your sacrifices and your strength. You are our modern day heroes!” This was released by the company in a statement on their Facebook page.
Working at Merzci
The employees at Merzci feel fortunate to be working for a company that chooses to care and share. “In spite of the economic challenges it is facing,” Merzci Cares was born. Their president and CEO Jonathan Manuel T. Lo has chosen to share to the community in their own way.
One of the core values of CM & Sons, Inc. is compassion. And they show it through their actions for the community as well as their own workers. The management are grateful for the opportunity to help their own employees, the community, and the brave frontliners during this pandemic.
They know that the battle is not yet cover but Merzci chooses to be united with everyone in order to HEAL AS ONE. Furthermore, they pray for the healing of the Filipino people and the entire world.
Thank you, Merzci Cares!
An Example of a Merzci Cares Run
This is an example of a one day run by Merzci Cares in Bacolod City.
- City of Bacolod – 1000 loaves + 335 trays of eggs through the office of Ms. Em Ang, NGC Command Center
- Covid Warrior – 50 loaves + 10 trays of eggs through Mr. Alex Ascalon
- City Health – 5 trays of eggs
- Brgy. Villamonte – 15 trays of eggs
- Inside Checkpoints – hard boiled eggs packed by 5’s
- Cong. Greg Gasataya – 335 trays of eggs
- Province of Negros Occidental – 335 trays of egg
- Chamber Volunteer Fire Brigade – 10 trays of eggs
The private sector in Bacolod City has been very active in supporting the frontliners fight Covid-19. I have written about Bayanihan sa Bacolod Movement in Fighting Covid-19. It’s a collection of stories about ordinary people rising up to the challenge during this pandemic.
Here’s a video of the Merzci Cares activities over the past weeks, as Bacolod City and Negros Occidental have been on ECQ.
Other Stories Related to Covid-19
Meanwhile, here are other stories related to Covid-19. Just click on the link:
- Food and Grocery Delivery Services in Bacolod During Quarantine
- Globe Gives 1,000 Preloaded Mobile Phones to Frontliners
- PPE for Negros Occidental Health Workers Against Covid-19
- KonsultaMD Provides 30-day Free Medical Advice to the Public
- Globe Gives P5M Help to Frontliners from Globe Rewards
- Crowd Store Finder Locates Open Stores, Pharmacies During Covid-19 Quarantine
- Stay At Home – Plead Doctors and Nurses Amid Covid-19
- Identify Covid-19 Fake News and Scams
- Megaworld Allocates 1,000 Liters of Alcohol, 5,000 Face Masks for Bacolod