I got this news from the e-mail. I am not sure how true this is, but I have eaten many of this fruit when I was younger. I haven’t eaten this though when I got older as it was no longer that readily available in the neighborhood. But I liked the taste and now that I am pregnant, I am considering eating this, too. Thank God I saw this e-mail. Please read below:
We were advised to have a few servings of fruits a day in order to reap the benefits of fruits right? But obviously this is one big no-no fruit and should be excluded from your fruity feast!
In Shenzen, it was reported several years ago that more than 10 people who consumed the star fruit had died. A 66-year-old Malaysian, who has been suffering from kidney ailment, fell into coma after eating the start fruits. Yes, they say that all it takes is one fruit or 100ml of its juice and the ordinarily harmless star fruit transforms into poison in a matter of hours for kidney patients. So does this mean, people without kidney problems should be fine eating the star fruit! My take: Not at all! Prevention is better right?
A Universiti Malaya Medical Centre consultant nephrologist said that star fruits contain a neurotoxin which is not present in other fruits. It affects the brain and nerves. In healthy persons, the kidneys filter it out. But for those with kidney problems, this potent toxin cannot be removed and will worsen the patient’s conditions.
The symptoms of start fruit poisoning include:
~Numbness and weakness
The risk of death is high if you are having kidney ailments. But healthy individuals should beware of this fruit’s potential toxic effects, too. It could also cripple your vitality if you are not lucky. So don’t take it for granted. It’s better to avoid them. Please pass this news on to others.